HCDE News Blog

Be Prepared for Predicted Active Hurricane Season Ahead: Center for Safe and Secure Schools

Weather experts predict an active 2020 hurricane season, and the Center for Safe and Secure Schools urges the community to be prepared with an emergency kit and family communications plan.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, the statistics support a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. Hurricane season runs from June 1-Nov. 30.

“With families still following precautions for COVID-19, it’s hard to think about preparing for the possibility of a major tropical storm or hurricane in our area,” CSSS Director Julia Andrews said. “But we can be prepared with the resources already available to us.”

Andrews recommends making plans to secure property and being ready with hurricane evacuation routes.

“Also, it’s a good time to check your insurance for flood coverage,” she said.

Below is a list of resources to rely upon when planning for the 2020 hurricane season:

  1. Build a hurricane kit: https://www.ready.gov/kit
  2. Make a family communications plan: https://www.ready.gov/plan
  3. Red Cross safety checklists: https://rdcrss.org/3ctb2XW
  4. Red Cross emergency app: https://bit.ly/3dxYVdj
  5. Protection from coronavirus (CDC): https://bit.ly/2MtLgbg and the Red Cross at redcross.org/coronavirus.

(The Center was created in 1999 at the request of Harris County superintendents and is tasked with the mission of supporting school districts’ efforts to have safe and secure learning environments. For more school safety resources, go to www.hcde-texas.org/safe-and-secure .)

Exit mobile version